Thursday, October 25, 2007

Peach Mango Kesar Shake - My Trio

pmk26 With all these Food blog events on the roll, I'm forced to break my schedule of publishing only one post per week.

Saffron is the Spice of this month for the Think Spice Event created by Sunitha
Though I tasted so many desserts spiced with saffron, I never used it in my cooking even once in my life. With this blog event I got a chance to do that. And boy this spice is so rich in flavour that the sweet fragance of it when used really gives a feel of soothing.

I have a sweet tooth and luv wet sweets in which this spice is always accompanied. So using this spice gave me the feeing of eating my fav sweets, which other wise I eat very rarely because they are filled with sugar and calories.

Also, coming to the Blog event AFAM hosted by Mansi, for which this month fruit is Peach,though I voted for it, I had no clue what delicacy to make with Peaches cause I never adventured with them except eating them as fresh fruits.

collage So this weekend while I was doing my groceries picked up both fresh and canned peaches. I searched for the small box of Saffron(Kesar) which I had purchased long long time ago. Luckily I was able to locate it. Then I remembered I had this can of Kesar Mango Pulp in my Pantry too. Suddenly this phrase struck my head, "Peach Mango Kesar Shake" . I thought not a bad idea. Lets try. And amazingly it turn out so good. And before I could realize I hit a hatrick, because I could send this drink as an entry for What's Your Favourite(WYF) - diet food created by SnackOrama,
cause this drink can be substituted for a breakfast or a healthy dessert.

Although I did google with the key words of this drink, I ended up with my own recipe. Well, this is the power of Food Blogging - It upgrades us from a Cook to a "Chef ".

pmk19 Before I could round up this I have to share the tradegy of shooting these pictures. Here I was all happy with my new recipe and clicked a number of clicks before my hubby and kids could finish it up, that with a single button click on my camera I did the mistake of deleting all the pictures. I was so in depair and wouldn't accept any comforting words from my husband. Luckily I saved the last glass of it for a daylight shoot. So I managed to redo it all again.

Here is the detailed round up:

Saffron Spice:
Read what google says about this Spice: Saffron is much more than just a herb for cooking this will explain about saffron and it's natural healing ability.

pmk5Saffron originated in Arabia, but the plant was brought to Spain in the eighth century.

Today, Spain in the major exporter of the spice. Saffron is costly, it can be bought for as much as $ 50.00 per ounce.

Saffron is well worth the price, it has been contributed with promoting lower rates of heart disease.

Saffron is used to alleviate fatigue and exhaustion, because it works to strengthen the heart and nervous system.

It also aids in digestion by increasing the appetite. Saffron is also high in thiamin and riboflavin, to minerals that are known to promote a healthy heart.

Saffron can be made into milk, which offers preventive care for people with slight cardiac problems. To prepare take one-cup milk and bring to a boil, add a pinch of saffron.
PMK8 Reduce heat and simmer the mixture for two minutes. It can be sweeten with honey or sugar. Then drink once per day.

Saffron is also used to improve the mood and clear the brain, where you can think well. This mixture if taking properly will help in clearing your thoughts. You will need

A pinch of saffron threads and 3 ounces 100- proof alcohol. Place both ingredients in a covered jar. Let stand for two weeks.

Then store the jar in a cool, dry place. Drink 1/4 cup to help clear mind or as a mood booster.

When buying saffron chose strands over powder, the strands contain a better flavor. When storing saffron keep in airtight container in a cool dry place.
Check more detials of this Spice Saffron.

Peaches
pmk2
Peaches - sensual, soft, rich in nutrients and so lush with juice that it runs over our fingers and drips down our chins, cooling us with their sweet.
Native to China, the peach is the fruit of a tree discovered in Persia by Westerners during the conquest of Alexander the Great. Believing it to be native to that region, due to its abundance, they named it ‘perscia.’ The Chinese have cultivated the peach since earliest antiquity. This sensual fruit so fascinated them that it spawned legends…from being the key to immortality to being a powerful aphrodisiac.

pmk13 A close relative of the plum, apricot, cherry and almond, peaches come from trees that can grow to 16 to 26 feet in height. With deciduous leaves, peach trees blossom with magnificent pink flowers that bloom in the spring even before the leaves mature…just a tease for the yummy fruit the tree will bear when summer warms.

pmk17
The sensual flesh of the peach can be a light golden, a creamy white or a pale greenish white, the latter being rare in the United States, but having the sweetest flavor. No matter the color, the flesh of the peach is juicy, fragrant, sweet, firm and the most seductive of all fruit.

pmk15 Not only yummy, peaches are a powerhouse of nutrients much needed during the heat of summer…potassium, phosphorus, magnesium, copper, iron, vitamin C, A and niacin…all nutrients that we lose with perspiration. Peaches contain a compound that is said to be a mild diuretic…so no puffy eyes and swollen fingers during hot, humid days.
Peaches are delicate little gems…so handle them carefully as they will spoil rapidly if bruised. Do not pack them too closely as they’ll cause each other to rot quickly. Unripe peaches are best left at room temperature to ripen, but once ripe, keep them in the refrigerator and use them quickly….they’ll only keep for a couple of days. A tip…let peaches come to room temperature before eating, as the flavor is more intensely sweet than when ice cold.

pmk16PMK6

Eaten out of hand, in fruit salads, cobblers, pies, compotes peaches also lend themselves beautifully to canning, drying and freezing. But my favorite summer recipe combines savory flavors with the sweet sensuality of peaches, intensifying their yumminess.
(Text : Courtesy Christina Cooks)

Click here for Nutritional facts on Peaches

So here is the combo of these two ingredients:
pmk14
pmk22

Ingredients:
Peaches fresh or Canned - 3 to 4 (If using canned add the juice also, say 1/2-1 cup)
Mango Pulp - 1- 2 cups ( Increase or Decrease depending upon what flavour you want more, peach or mango)
Saffron or Kesar - 1/2 tsp soaked in 2 Tbsps warm evapourated milk
pmk28pmk18
Yogurt Peach flavour or Natural Plain- 1/2 cup (add more for thick base)
Honey -1 Tbsp
Milk - 1/2 cup (1% for healhty diet)
Sugar - 2 Tbsp (Can be omitted if desired a healthy diet or increased for more sweetness)
PMK9PMK11
To garnish PMK10
A Slice and 1 cup cubes of Fresh Peaches.

The above measures make atleast 4 servings.

My Version:
This is too complicated, follow the steps carelfully.
In a blendor add all ingredients and beat them well.
pmk27
Garnish with fresh fruit.
pmk1

This really turned out to be a delicious drink. I was extremely happy by the results. My husband was all ready to gulp it before I can click these pictures. I like the fact that this can be used as an breakfast booster drink and also a Healthy Dinner dessert if it made thick or just a snack.

pmk12
Verdict:
Sugar deleted this is one health drink, with each serving containing
Vitamins and Fibre from 2 servings of Fruits(Add fresh fruit for more benefits)
So this goes to A Fruit A Month - Peaches
Calcuim and Protien from the Yogurt and Milk.

The goodness of Saffron Spice - So this also goes to Think Spice - Saffron,


And this can be my favorite diet drink,desert or snack, with all the benefits mentioned above. Hence it also goes to What's Your Favorite (WYF)- Diet Food.


Click here for the health nutrition chart

pmk3

44 comments:

Sreelu said...

Esther too much undi, I love mango lassi and now with kesar and peaches.Excellent dish and low fat

Swaruchy said...

Rina....loved the shake...wanted to gulp it down the moment I saw it on the screen :-)

FH said...

Excellent photos Rina. 3 in 1, huh? I understand. Too many events indeed, that's why I have 2 blogs!Even a month is not enough to cook for all these!:D
Love the shake, delicious.

Mansi said...

3 birds in one shot!! You go girl!! lovely shake...I made the exact same thing without saffron yesterday night:) thanks so much for taking the trouble to find those peaches for my event!!

Rina said...

Mansi, you're welcome.

Asha, I know we have to keep going with all these events uhh!

Sirisha, thanks and go ahead to gulp it.

Sree, yea it is too much. Cause it has to go for 3 events know. I think this is the last post like this. I will have to slow down drastically.

indosungod said...

Looks colorful and bright, looks great am sure tastes great, what can possibly go wrong with mango.
Chef you are!

Padma said...

Nina, Ek teer and teen Nishaan. You did a great job, beautiful pictures and I loved this Kesar Mango Shake..

Well these days I am really feeling lazy to cook...n least to blog!! God only knows when I will be out of this :o

Rina said...

Padma, Thanks. Don't worry if you feel like that. Infact blogging should only be a hobby. Not a must. Right now I'm fighting to keep off from it. I don't want my family time to be stolen by this. Since I new, still not able to find balance.

Indosungod, thanks.

sunita said...

That's a lovely shake...glad that my event inspired you to try a new spice...it is indeed a great one, , you'll love cooking with it from now on...thanks for the entry.

Laavanya said...

What a healthy, fruity shake that is!

Hima said...

Thank you so much rina for your lovely entry. The Milk shake looks so tempting. See you at round up.

Unknown said...

What a colour!!!! Very vibrant looking health drink.

Rina said...

Puspa, Sunitha, Lavaanya, Hima, Thanks for your lovely notes.

Mishmash ! said...

I always have mango pulp at home....and this is a real good idea to make one more easier drink

Unknown said...

Beautiful colour and what a combination. Lovely entry.

Pravs said...

lovely pics and yummy peach mango kesar shake !! feel like taking a sip.

TBC said...

Nice entry, Rina:-)
Too bad you deleted most of the pics. Good thing you had at least that one glass remaining:-)

bee said...

now i am wiating for the day when AFAM is cherry and the spice of the month is asafoetida. :D nice dish.

Rina said...

Thanks all.

Sia said...

1 shot and 3 birds!!!! thats really a smart move rina:)

Unknown said...

Rina Gr pics!! wish i was there to have a sip of it...anyways will try this one soon. and thanx for dropping by my blog. hope u can find some junnu milk thru this site. jus try if u like

http://www.realmilk.com/where2.html

God bless u!!

Rina said...

Sia, thanks for visiting.

Swaroopa,thanks for the link and really enjoy your yummy junnu pic.
God Bless!!!

Sharmi said...

two birds in one hit and very colorful. lovely post.

S said...

oh god that is too good.. no dought u r a roacking blogger

Rina said...

Sharmi, and Shanti Thanks for your wonderful words.

Rachel said...

lovely pics!!!

SteamyKitchen said...

I never thought to use saffron in drinks! I'm definitely going to try as saffron + mango + peach sounds so delicious.

Rina said...

Rachel, thanks for visiting.

Jaden, welcome to my blog. Try this, its really one yummy drink fille dwith all the good flavours from the spice and the fruits. Thx for visiting

Namratha said...

I'm not a fan of peaches but I must say this looks mouth watering Rina, love the colour. I just might try it! :)

Cynthia said...

I see that you are having a lot of fun with your photography.

That shake is so thick, rich and yummy looking.

Rina said...

Namratha, thanks

Cynthia, It was nice chatting with you. Thx for your comments.

Finla said...

Fina as always your picture looks fab. I always enjoy seeinf you pic and the dish.
The taste must have been delicious. If i had this glass with me i wil sip and sip and sip and enjoy every minute of it. See now i am just drooling and drooling.
I am sure tonight I will dream about you peach mango shake :-)))
Atleast it will be a good dream :-))))

Roopa said...

woooow awesome great photos :) and what an excellent recipe!

Rina said...

Roopa, thanks

Happy, thanks for your generous notes. and keep dreaming.

Mallika said...

Hi Rina - very creative idea for the peach and saffron events. I promised Mansi I would participate, but am having some trouble thinking about and Indian recipes with peaches!!!

Rina said...

Mallika, Thanks.

Kribha said...

That looks soooooo good. Very creative. I could not see the pics yesterday ,that's why I couldn't leave a comment. Today it worked fine and it looked gorgeous. You rock.:-)

Rina said...

kribha, thanks for visiting and leaving your valuable note.

Seena said...

lovely pictures! your post is very informative..

Suma Gandlur said...

Very informative post with lovely pics and yummy drink.

Sig said...

Wow, peach and mango combo... beautiful color Rina... Love the pics! Ouch about the picture accident, at least this happened with food pics, imagine if that happened after a memorable vacation!

Rina said...

Oh! no Sig, I can't take the photo accident after a vacation. How can we redo that? Thanks for visiting.

Julie said...

Wow, it's so vibrant and beautiful! It looks delicious!

Ricky Addy said...

Lookin a very delicious kesar mango shake..........

kesar mango pulp