This is another vegetable I really long to eat. The the beauty of this vegetable is that it is not only healthy but tasty too. Though it can be cooked in in many ways, even a simple stir fry would bring out the flavour and taste of this versatile veggie.
From my childhood I was always attracted to this veggie. The day my grandmothers or my mom had it in the menu it was a treat for me.
I will post another preparation of this Bitter gourd in my next post. And also plan to write more of my experience with this veggie in that post. For now here is a simple Stir fry Karela.. We can use the fresh one or the frozen package. Since fresh bitter gourd is readily available in all the Asian grocery stores I always use the fresh one.
Tender Bitter Gourd - 1 Package or 1 lb (cut into cirlces)
Oil - 2 tbsp
Salt - to taste
Chilly Powder : 1 tsp
Amchur Powder : 1/4 tsp (Optional)
Anardhana Powder : 1/4 tsp (Optional)
Chat Masala : 1/4 tsp (Optional)
Soya Sauce : 1 tbsp (Optional - if you want a Chinese version)
1. Heat up a non-stick pan, add oil .
2. Add the washed/cut circles of Bitter gourd after the oil is heated.
3. Add salt and give it a nice mix, to coat all the veggie pieces with Oil and salt.
4.Stir fry for 10-15 minutes.
5. Add the optional ingredients if desired and stir fry for a minute or two.
6. Remove from heat when golden brown and crispy.
This is one of my contributions to the event Vegetable of the Week - Bitter Gourd created and hosted by Creative Pooja.
Enjoy the Stir fry with hot rice and any gravy....
Watch for the next series - Karela Tamatar.