I gave this name because I make this recipe when I don't want to eat just the plain rice at the same time don't want to strain myself and invest a lot of time cooking a Biriyani or traditional Pulav, nor want the dominating spicy rice dish.
I feel the most difficult part of the cooking is the cutting and cooking a lot of onions, tomatoes etc. Though our food processors come to our rescue a lot. But when we can enjoy the dish without having to work that much for it is a good alternative.
Therefore the flavoured Rice is born with ease to make and not losing the great taste. Goes well with a thick veg or non-veg gravy.
Basmati Rice - 2 cups (Wash and Soak for 20- 30 minutes)
A few Fennel seeds, Cloves, Cinnamon, Cardamom
Can Coconut Milk - 1 cup
Ginger Garlic Paste - 1 tsp
Salt - To taste
Oil - 1 tbsp
Water - 3 Cups
To Garnish- Cashews, Raisins and Curry leaves fried in 1 tbsp ghee/butter.
1. In a deep pot or Pressure cooker, heat oil and add all the spices and sauté till they slightly change color.
2. Add ginger garlic paste, sauté,
3. Now add 1 cup Coconut milk and 3 cups water
4. Add salt, cover for one boil.
5. Then add the drained Basmati rice, cover and simmer till all the water is gone and the rice is cooked.If pressure cooking follow the same procedure of cooking rice.
6. Remove from heat and transfer into a serving dish.
7. Add the Ghee with fried cashew, raisins, and curry leaves and give it a light mix, to add the flavour of ghee to the rice.
Serve with any spicy gravy. The mild flavor of ghee, coconut milk, ginger garlic and curry leaves is really a compliment.