If you are a regular reader of my blog you will notice that I use Tomatoes bountifully in most of my dishes, Aloo Tamatar, Gobi Tamatar, Tomato Shrimp etc. and now Tomato and Flat beans. And still to come is Tomato cabbage . Well the inspiration is definitely from my Grand mother. I use to cherish all her tomato dishes so much that i carry forward them in my regular menu now.
You can check my other flat beans recipe here.
Now for the recipe of Flat beans and Tomato curry.
1 lb Flat Beans ( Easily available in all the Asian/South Asian Stores usually packaged)
2 tbsp - Cooking Oil
1/2 tsp - Mustard seeds
1 - Medium onion cut length wise
2-3 Green Chillies slit
8-10 curry leaves
1/2 tsp Red chilly powder
Salt to taste
1 cup - Tomato Puree
A small bunch of coriander leaves chopped
1. Clean the Flat beans by cutting of the edges and removing the middle fibre and make 3 to 4 pieces of each bean. Wash Skin the beans together, drain keep aside.
2. Heat a wide bottom skillet, add oil.
3. After the oil is hot add mustard seeds and allow them to splutter
4. Add cut onions. chillies, curry leaves and saute till onions are translucent.
5. Now add flats beans, red chilly powder and salt, mix well to coat the beans with the seasonings.
6.Cover and cook till beans are soft and almost cooked, stirring regularly.
7. Once the beans are soft add the pureed tomatoes or tomato paste and mix well.
8. cook for another 7 to 10 minutes or till the raw smell of the tomatoes is gone and a pleasant aroma of the curry starts to come.
9. Add more chilly powder and salt if required
10. Add the coriander leaves and remove from heat.
Have it with plain rice and papad or serve it with rice and sambar or with any seasoned rice.